Receptionist and Administration Assistant
Compass Free School, Southwark
At Compass School we believe that “everyone in the Compass School Community will confidently reach the destination to which they aspire”. This applies to everyone, including our staff team. Our four values of aspiration, integrity, exploration and resilience are reflected in all areas of the school and our work. We are extremely passionate about ensuring that our students meet the challenging targets that we set for them, and we strive to be outstanding and innovative practitioners ourselves.
Compass School has applied to join the prestigious City of London Family of Schools sponsored by the City of London and are already engaged in partnership work with the trust on a number of levels. The City of London family is not only the top ranking multi-academy trust in the country, but through the City heritage and values, brings opportunities through the Guilds and Livery Companies that serve as an aspirational bridge for our community.
Will you join us in reaching our aspirations?
If you share our values, have an entrepreneurial spirit, and are excited by the prospect of making a real contribution to a new and growing school, we want to hear from you.
About Compass School
Compass School Southwark is a four-form entry, mixed, 11-16 free school that opened in September 2013. Founded by a varied and experienced group of Trustees, the school will grow to offer an exceptional education to 600 young people in the heart of Bermondsey by September 2021 when it will move into a new state-of-the-art building on its current site. We are ideally located, just a short walk from Bermondsey Tube Station.
For further information about the school and the Trust, please go to compass-schools.com.
If you have any questions, contact us at email@example.com or 0203 542 6506.
Responsible to: Administration Manager & Leadership Assistant
Start date: ASAP
Salary: London Living Wage
Days and Hours: 17.25 hours per week: Monday to Thursday (13:30 – 17:15), Friday (13:30 – 15:45), term time only (39 weeks)
We are looking for a part time Receptionist to support a busy administrative team and to act as the first point of contact for students and visitors. The Receptionist will be an enthusiastic advocate for Compass School Southwark, participating fully in the life of the school community. The successful candidate will be a strong communicator, acting as a liaison between students, staff and parents.
Specific role responsibilities
• Act as the first point of contact for all parents, students and visitors
• Handle enquiries by email, telephone and in person
• Take messages and pass on to relevant staff members in a timely manner
• Sort and distribute incoming mail and frank outgoing mail
• Ensure that the reception area is kept tidy at all times
• Support the Administration Manager and team in ensuring an efficient reception service is maintained at all times
• Support the admin team with filing
• Update student records on MIS system
• Write and send correspondence
• Assist with administration related to secondary transition (inputting student data and contacting parents for information)
• Provide administrative support for staff including phoning parents, sending letters home and arranging meetings
• Take cash payments and cash up at the end of each day
• Reprographics work
• Support the Admin and Pastoral Team with arranging and setting up school events
• Support the Admin Team with any ad hoc administrative tasks
• Comply with policies and procedures of the school and to report all concerns to the appropriate person
• Attend First Aid at Work qualification to assist students with medical issues
• Engage in relevant continuous professional development opportunities and performance management/review arrangements
• Carry out any other reasonable duties and specific school-wide tasks as directed by the Administration Manager.
All members of the Compass School staff are expected to
• Support the Principal and Trustees in delivering the educational vision of the Compass Schools Trust
• Work towards and support the school vision and objectives outlined in the school development plan
• Communicate Compass Schools Trust values, aims, policies and plans to staff, students and parents
• Actively foster the ethos and values of the school
• Build an expectation of high achievement for all
• Help to create the best environment to promote and secure the achievement of students and staff
• Have a sense of Corporate Responsibility for the outcomes of pupils at Compass School Southwark
• Comply with and support at all times the school’s policies and procedures on safeguarding
• Maintain high professional standards of attendance, punctuality, appearance and conduct
• Uphold and enhance the school’s reputation by ensure positive, courteous relations with students, parents, colleagues and other stakeholders
• Be willing to go above and beyond expected levels of commitment to ensure the success of the school
• Be proactive in ensuring appropriate allocation of resources, and evaluate against outcomes
• Undertake other reasonable duties related to the role as required from time to time
• Develop and encourage good relations between the school and the local and wider community
• Work closely with other schools, locally, nationally and internationally
• Represent the school at marketing and other external events
• Engage actively in professional development for yourself and colleagues
This job description details responsibilities but is not prescriptive and does not direct any particular priorities or amount of time to be spent carrying out the duties. It is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post, and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the grade and scope of the post. This job description may be subject to amendment, to meet the changing needs of the school, following appropriate consultation.
The person specification is related to the requirements of the post as determined by the job description.
• Working as part of a team
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (including Word and Excel)
• Office skills: Administrative/secretarial/financial administration
• Models high standards of professional conduct
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to deal calmly with the unexpected, with the ability to multi-task, work under pressure, outstanding organisational skills and exhibit a strong attention to detail at all times.
• Experience of working in a school
• Experience of working with young people
• Good working knowledge of SIMS/Arbor
• Cash handling
• Knowledge of Ofsted Safeguarding requirements
Education & Qualifications
• Good numeracy and literacy skills
• Willingness to participate in First Aid training and training
• Right to work in the UK • First Aid qualification
• Excellent communication skills
• Calm and confident speaking to students, parents and visitors
• Desire to go “above and beyond” in improving outcomes for young people in the local community
• Entrepreneurial and self-reliant and ambitious
• Acts with integrity and fairness with an awareness of confidentiality and sensitivity
• Adaptable and flexible
• Good use of own initiative.
• Understanding of the implications of Equal Opportunities.
• To participate in school/community events
• Commitment to CPD for self and others; seeks feedback and acts upon it • Data Protection awareness
• Ability to maintain effective systems for filing, information retrieval, reproduction of documents etc.
• Ability think innovatively and creatively
• A knowledge of school management information systems
• The ability to diffuse confrontation
NOTE: This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
£45,000 to £55,000 paLondon Bridge, Waterloo SE1£44,000 to £50,000 paSouthwark£47,000 to £50,000 paSouthwark
£22,000 to £25,000 paSouthwarkSalary to be confirmed upon applicationPeckham SE15Salary to be confirmed upon applicationPeckham
£19,000 paSouthwark£20,000 paSouthwark£44,000 to £50,000 paSouthwark
Salary to be confirmed upon applicationBermondsey, Southwark, SE1Salary to be confirmed upon applicationBermondsey, Southwark, SE1
|Nine Elms roadshow heads for the Doddington and Rollo Estate
The team will be on hand to answer any questions about the local opportunities and benefits that are being created through the area’s regener...
|Working in Health and Social Care
IN TEN years' time it's estimated that 2.2 million people in England will be employed in adult social care – well over half a mi...
|Do you care enough to care?
Cllr Dora Dixon Fyle, cabinet member for adults, arts and culture, said: “Quality of care is a national issue but in Southwark we are tacklin...
|Come and work for Zoom Nurseries
At Zoom Nurseries we are passionate about childcare. We are as enthusiastic and dedicated today as we were when we opened our first nursery in 2003...